How does an electrostatic filter work?
The electrostatic air filters manufactured by Dust Free utilize synthetic material which develops an electrostatic charge as friction is applied to the plastic fibers. In the filters case, air flowing through the filter provides the necessary friction. This can be demonstrated by rubbing the surface of the filter with a cloth briskly and placing the filter over light weight flakes of material such as tea leaves, or styrofoam chips. The small chips will be attracted to the filter surface and held there due to the charge that developed on the filter as a result of rubbing it. The electrostatic charge that is developed as air passes through the filter, increases the filters attraction to particles such as pollen, molds, and dust.
What size particles will the filter capture?
An electrostatic filter is generally effective in capturing particles 1 micron and larger. A micron is 1/25,000 of an inch. Some of the particles our filters are able to capture include house dust, lint, animal dander, pollen, mold spores, and skin flakes
How do I clean my electrostatic filter?
1. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any heavy buildup of dust and lint that may have accumulated.
2. Lay the filter flat and spray it with a cleaning detergent(409, Fantastic, Rugged Red, Ivory Liquid, etc.) on one side and then the other until the filter is soaked with the detergent. The amount of detergent required will be dependent upon the amount and type of pollutants held in the filter.
3. Lay the filter with the "wash" arrow , or dirtiest side, down or prop at angle against fence or outside wall and flush the detergent from the filter using a garden hose with a nozzle set at the high pressure setting. If laying flat, a 1" or 2" object should be placed under one side of the filter frame to allow room for the water and dirt to escape. Turn the filter over and repeat the same procedure.
4. Perform steps 2 and 3 until the filter is clean. If the filter is extremely soiled, it may be more convenient to use a car wash facility to remove all embedded dirt from the filter. Always lay the filter flat when using high pressure water for cleaning.
5. Shake excess water out of the filter and allow it to drip dry to the extent that it can be carried without dripping water.
IMPORTANT: Your filter should be cleaned regularly to maintain maximum air flow in the system.
Which way should the air flow?
The air should flow according to direction shown on the filter's label
When I install my filter, the pull tab is inaccessible?Not all HVAC systems are designed the same and occasionally this occurs. To remedy the problem simply flip the filter over so that the pull tab is accessible. The filter will operate just as efficiently. Since the air will now be flowing in the direction indicated by the "wash" arrow, be sure to wash your filter in the direction indicated by the "airflow" arrow.
Can I put more than one filter in my system?
Due to air restrictions, it is not advisable to use more than one filter per return.
How do I know what size to use?
Simply order the size that you are using now with your throwaway filter. If you are not buying a throwaway filter now, measure from inside lip to inside lip both horizontally and vertically and choose from our 40 standard sizes. Custom sizes are available.
Will the filter cause damage to my existing unit?
Due to the filter's low resistance to airflow, it is compatible with all air handling systems. If there is a question, please call a service contractor.
How do I know that the filter is working correctly once installed?
The filter will work as long as it is clean and air is passing through it. If you would like to see what your filter is catching, wash your filter in a sink or tub which allows the water to be held. By placing this water in a glass, you will be able to see that particles which had been trapped by the filter. Some particles are very light in color and will not be visible on the face of the filter but will be seen in the water used in cleaning.
Can I use 409 cleaner on it?
To clean your filter, the manufacturer recommends, 409, Fantastic, Rugged Red, or other mild spray detergents. DO NOT use spray oils or any other chemical sprays on the filter as this will dramatically reduce the "static-electric" effect. DO NOT exceed water temperature of 200F, as this may damage the filtering material.